Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ask Me About This Watershed!

As mentioned in a previous post, I thought it might be fun to walk around Schenley Park and adjacent areas in a shirt that says 'Ask Me About This Watershed!' and see if anyone actually asked me.  So... I did it!

IMG_0156


The shirt actually came out better than expected, though it is in sharpie and the drawing may dissolve when I wash it.

IMG_0146 IMG_0149

It was in the evening on a weekday, and most of the people in the park were jogging and didn't stop to chat.  I did meet some nice SCA's doing some work in the canyon, some people sitting by the lake, and some people in the Carnegie Library where I went to return a book.

I also passed through the CMU campus, where I found something quite odd and disturbing - a rooftop garden combining two things I don't like: invasive plants and math!

IMG_0213

I don't know who decided it was a good idea to plant a bunch of Japanese Barberry and English Ivy in a rooftop garden, especially one close enough to the park to disperse seeds into wildland areas.  Green roofs are a neat idea, but not when you plant noxious weeds in them!  At least the numbers will stay in the garden and won't bother me in the park.

If anyone is interested, here is a map including different pictures I took in the watershed on that day.  Unfortunately they won't all display on the map at once so you have to scroll through the photos to see where their locations are.  I am not sure if Flickr is the best way to display things like this so if anyone has thoughts, send me an email or leave a comment here.  I like the idea of someday finding an app for the Iphone and/or other smartphones that will allow people to walk around in the park and find the different water features I've talked about, but I am not sure if it will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment